Under the direction of the Manager Engineering Design, provides support to capital projects, designs for SCADA, Automation and related Communications and Electrical systems for all power generation, substations, plant automation, residual heating, renewable energy and other systems. Scope includes all communities, building, plants and facilities in NTPC’s Hydro Zone including the North and South Slave, the Thermal Zone and customer or IPP-owned facilities.
- Supports Asset Management, Engineering and Project Management with identification, definition, design and implementation of capital projects. Prepares project briefs. Supports capital projects by providing engineering design services and technical expertise and performing or supporting commissioning during capital project implementation.
- Prepares preliminary and final detailed designs for the SCADA, Voice-Data Radio and related communication systems and automation.
- Programs software for automation and control systems, including Programmable Logic Controllers (PCLs), Human Machine Interface (HMI) systems and digital governors.
- Fluent with power system automation protocols; IEC 61850, IEC 60870-5, DNP3 & ICCP.
- Designs appropriate to the requirements of NTPC’s diesel, natural gas and hydroelectric generating stations; solar, wind and other renewable generation; and transmission, distribution and substations.
- Supports Hydro and Thermal Operations as requested to resolve complex electrical issues and to support investigations, outage analysis, restoration and emergency field repairs.
- Performs detailed electrical engineering design and analysis work that includes, but is not limited to, new installation, modifications, upgrades, overhauls and replacement of plant main control rooms & control panels, electric motors c/w Variable Frequency Drives (VFDs), etc.
- Provides technical/operational support and advice to field personnel for operational issues related to electrical issues, SCADA, Automation and related communications systems, coordination studies, relaying / protection settings, etc.
- Supports Project Management by providing a range of capital project support services.
- Reviews and approves customer renewable energy applications and designs.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering.
- Minimum 8 years of electrical utility experience of which 4 are directly related to diesel and/or hydroelectric power generation with SCADA, Automation, Telecommunications, and Controls.
- Registered with NAPEG or eligible to be registered with NAPEG to practice as a Professional Engineer in the NWT.
- Strong consultation, organization, and time management skills to ensure work is appropriately prioritized.
- Proficient in programming PLC and HMI systems, including Allen Bradley 5000, 500 series PLCs and related equipment.
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office suite of programs, such as Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.; as well as electrical design software (e.g. Aspen, SKM Power Tools – Dapper and Captor) and AutoCAD.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Proven ability to critically review, analyse and interpret highly technical information, designs and consultant reports, including engineering accuracy, cost implications and operational feasibility.
- Must undergo a successful criminal background check.
- Predominantly works in a high paced office environment.
- Frequently travels to remote Arctic communities.
- Regularly carries out engineering and inspection work in operational plants.
Salary range is $53.07 to $64.51 per hour, plus location, & accommodation allowances of approximately $7,773 per annum. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, which includes Health and Dental Benefits, Long-term Disability, Life Insurance, paid Sick Days and a Defined Pension Plan.
Please send resumes to:
Northwest Territories Power Corporation
#4 Capital Drive
Hay River NT X0E 1G2
Fax: (867) 874-5229
Please quote competition #: 19-HR-17
Closing date: November 20, 2017 at 5:00PM (MT)
Affirmative Action Employer - Candidates must clearly identify eligibility status in order to receive priority consideration.
We thank all those who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.