Reporting to the Manager, Plant Operations, the Hydro Plant Operator is a key member of the Plant Operations Team that ensures the safe and efficient operation of the electrical generation units, plants and their respective auxiliary equipment at the Diesel/Hydro sites.
- Performs starts and stops for diesel engines and hydro turbines, and synchronizes and disconnects generators to and from the system buss manually or using Programmable Logic Computer (PLC).
- Monitors and operates electrical generating units, hydro and diesel plants, and auxiliary equipment as per operational requirements to ensure units are running safely and without incident.
- Performs and assists with preventative maintenance and overhauls on units, plant auxiliary equipment, transmission line and substations as per preventative maintenance schedules.
- Works with System Control Operator to maintain plant operating efficiencies and water management.
- Responsible for overall plant conditions and reporting any deficiencies.
- Cleans and maintains building and grounds.
- High School Diploma with coursework in Power Engineering, along with a minimum of 3 years of related experience. Electrical or Mechanical discipline preferred.
- Ability to interpret drawings, read blueprints, diagrams and specifications of mechanical equipment, including manufacturer’s manuals and parts books.
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office suite of programs, such as Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Must have good oral and written communication skills and an ability to interact effectively with others.
- Must have a valid Class 5 driver’s license.
- Must undergo a successful Criminal Background Check.
- Working environment is primarily a powerhouse setting (hydro & diesel) that contains high noise and vibration. May be required to work outside on auxiliary equipment and as a result may be exposed to extreme weather conditions.
- Involves a rotation shift schedule that requires working at any hour including weekends and statutory holidays, as well this includes periods of immediate on call situations. May include certain periods of isolation.
- May require travel in vehicles or light aircraft between Yellowknife, Snare and outlying communities.
- May be required to work at heights and confined spaces.
Salary range is $37.15 to $45.14 per hour, plus location, & accommodation allowances of approximately $8,592 per annum. We offer a comprehensive benefits package which includes defined benefits pension plan. Note: This is a 2 year term position.
Please send resumes to:
Northwest Territories Power Corporation
#4 Capital Drive
Hay River NT X0E 1G2
Fax: (867) 874-5229
Please quote competition #: 20-YK-17
Closing Date: August 2, 2017 at 5:00pm (MT)
Affirmative Action Employer - Candidates must clearly identify eligibility status in order to receive priority consideration.
We thank all those who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted