Under the general supervision and direction of the Manager, Operations & Maintenance, the Hydro Plant Operator is a key member of the Plant Operations Team that ensures the safe and efficient operation of the electrical generation units, plants and their respective auxiliary equipment at the Diesel/Hydro sites.
- Work safely and follow all safety procedures and policies. Wear all personal protective equipment.
- Performs starts and stops for diesel engines and hydro turbines, and synchronizes and disconnects generators to and from the system buss manually or using Programmable Logic Computer (PLC).
- Monitors and operates electrical generating units, hydro and diesel plants, and auxiliary equipment as per operational requirements to ensure units are running safely and without incident.
- Performs and assists with preventative maintenance and overhauls on units, plant auxiliary equipment, transmission line and substations as per preventative maintenance schedules.
- Works with System Control Operator to maintain plant operating efficiencies and water management.
- Responsible for overall plant conditions and reporting any deficiencies.
- Cleans and maintains building and grounds.
- High School diploma plus a minimum 2 years of related mechanical or electrical experience. Plant Operator training or a related Journeyperson certificate considered an asset.
- Experience with heavy equipment. Compound; road & runway must be kept cleaned of snow for Safety reasons.
- Ability to interpret drawings, read blueprints, diagrams and specifications of mechanical equipment, including manufacturer’s manuals and parts books.
- Good planning, organizational and communications skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and participate as a member of a team.
- Eligible for a NWT Class 5 driver’s licence with airbrake endorsement.
- Must maintain a PAL (Possession Acquisition Licence) for firearms at the Taltson Hydro site.
- Must undergo a successful criminal background check.
- Works normally in a powerhouse environment with operational diesel engines, which requires the appropriate protective equipment.
- Position often involves working in small crews as well as one week alone at the Hydro site.
- Noisy environment.
Salary range is $37.15 to $45.14 per hour, plus location, & accommodation allowances of approximately $8,592 per annum. We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes a defined benefits pension plan. Note: This is an 18 month term position.
Please send resumes to:
Northwest Territories Power Corporation
#4 Capital Drive
Hay River NT X0E 1G2
Fax: (867) 874-5229
Please quote competition #: 31-SM-17
Closing Date: November 28, 2017 at 5:00pm (MT)
Affirmative Action Employer - Candidates must clearly identify eligibility status in order to receive priority consideration.
We thank all those who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.