Reporting to the Maintenance Services Manager, the Electrician will perform journeyperson level work, and is responsible for the repair and maintenance of electrical generation and control equipment, along with auxiliary equipment such as electric motors, transformers, relays, electronic governors, voltage regulators, and other electrical systems in diesel and hydro generating stations, and all other related duties.
- Maintains and repairs all electrical systems, AC and DC single phase and three phase electric motors and assists with scheduled overhauls of diesel and natural gas generator sets.
- Assists with scheduled overhauls of diesel electric generation sets.
- Calibrates all engine mounted alarms, indication and shutdown devices, as well as cleaning and checking all wiring and relays in engine control cabinets.
- Maintains and repairs auxiliary generator equipment and devices. Planned maintenance includes, but is not limited to, calibration of automatic and manual voltage regulators, generator protection devices, metering and cleaning and checking all wiring and terminations in generator control cubicles. Setting and adjustment of electronic governors is also required.
- Assists in SCADA system maintenance and repairs including start up, cleaning of filters and checking of various input and output devices.
- Troubleshooting and repairs to Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs).
- Maintenance and repairs to high and low voltage switchgear and breakers. Cleaning breaker circuits and motor control centres, cleaning and calibration of high voltage breakers, torqueing buss bar bolts and inspecting wiring and terminations.
- Journeyperson level Industrial Electrician certification with an interprovincial red seal.
- Minimum 5 years journeyperson experience troubleshooting diesel generation electrical systems including the ability to set electronic governors and voltage regulators unsupervised in the field. Must have experience with setting up electronic governors for parallel operation.
- Experience installing, maintaining and commissioning of Caterpillar, Isuzu, Gascor, Deutz and Detroit Diesel gensets in the range 70 kW to 2800 kW.
- Ability to read and work off blueprints, as well as interpret drawings, diagrams, and specifications of a variety of types of electrical equipment, including manufacturer's manuals and parts books.
- Eligible for a NWT Class 5 driver’s licence.
- Must undergo a successful criminal background check.
Salary range is $40.11 to $48.75 per hour, plus location, & accommodation allowances of approximately $10,134 per annum. We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes a defined benefits pension plan.
Please send resumes to:
Northwest Territories Power Corporation
#4 Capital Drive
Hay River NT X0E 1G2
Fax: (867) 874-5229
Please quote competition #: 35-SP-16
Closing date: August 24, 2017 at 5:00PM (MST)
Affirmative Action Employer - Candidates must clearly identify eligibility status in order to receive priority consideration.
We thank all those who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.