This senior management position is part of the Corporations’ executive team and will have prime responsibility for leading and supporting the work unit team for the Hydro Operations region. This position provides direction, leadership and management of regional programs and services to ensure the safe, reliable and efficient operation, maintenance and replacement of power generation facilities. This position has responsibility for all facets of the hydro and diesel power generation in the southern NWT, encompassing the North and South Slave areas. This includes six hydro sites, three diesel communities and four stand-by diesel plants.
- Provides direction and leadership to a staff including professionals, technical trades, administrative and operating staff involved in the planning, organization and delivery of day-to-day programs and services to meet the power generation, sales and distribution needs of client communities throughout the division.
- In collaboration with Managers and program staff, directs the review and evaluation of power generation, facilities on an on-going basis, recommends improvement and replacement to system facilities, and ensures the development and implementation of short and long term strategies, work plans, and budgets to achieve desired objectives.
- Participates on the Executive Committee as a member of the senior management team in the development, implementation and achievement of corporate goals, objectives and policies and makes appearances or presentations before the Board of Directors, the Public Utilities Board, or other Boards and Agencies to ensure the effective communication of regional positions, programs or issues.
- Maintains effective liaison with peers, head office managers and staff, and participates on management and working committees as required to represent the region and ensure a coordinated approach to the development and delivery of programs, policies and procedures.
- Directs the planning and administration of regional operating and capital budgets and ensures that effective procedures are in place to monitor and control an operating budget
- Participates as a member of the Emergency Response Team assisting in managing staff and resources during emergencies such as forest fires, community outages, oil spills and other environmental accidents, strikes and lockouts and liaising with corporate environmental and public relations specialists to effectively respond to community concerns on major issues and events.
Bachelor of Arts in Business or Bachelor of Science in Engineering, or equivalent
- Several years of experience as a manager in a related utilities operations department required.
- Five to ten years of related experience in in hydro and/or diesel power generation, transmission and distribution preferred.
- Change management skills and experience preferred.
- Excellent skills relating to communications, marketing, human relations, negotiations, strategic operational and financial planning, and problem solving preferred.
- Computer skills to operate software programs related to word processing, spreadsheet, databases, electronic mail, Internet, etc. preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills to collaborate effectively with peers, and work groups, in setting and accomplishing department and operation support objectives.
- Proven written and oral communication skills are to establish and maintain supportive and productive working relationships with regional staff, and to develop and communicate corporate guidelines and standards effectively.
Salary and Benefits:
- This is a full time permanent position. We offer a comprehensive benefits package which includes Health and Dental Benefits, Long-term Disability, Life Insurance, paid Sick Days and a Defined Pension Plan.
Please send resumes to:
Northwest Territories Power Corporation
#4 Capital Drive
Hay River NT XOE 1G2
Phone: (867) 874-5200
Fax: (867) 874-5229
Please quote competition #: 26-YK-17
Closing date: Open until suitable candidate is found.
Affirmative Action Employer - Candidates must clearly identify eligibility status in order to receive priority consideration.
We thank all those who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.