Participates as a member of the Generation Work Unit, to perform Journeyperson level work on diesel generator sets and associated support equipment including, pumps, compressors, radiators, heat exchangers, lubricating oil systems, fuel oil systems, cooling systems, and other mechanical equipment. The incumbent will be responsible for the routine maintenance as set out by the manufacturer, as well as the minor and major overhauls including work on larger diesel engines such as EMD, MTU Series 4000 and Cat 3500 series engines throughout the Corporation.
- Maintains and repairs small, medium and large size diesel engines, generators of various sizes and auxiliary equipment as per Corporation guidelines.
- Completes and/or assists with scheduled overhauls in a timely and professional manner according to Corporation and Manufacturer standards.
- Makes routine trips to remote satellite plants for inspection, preventative maintenance, installation and repairs to equipment and to complete various tests as required.
- Completes trip and equipment reports, prepares required parts lists for diesel maintenance and fuel and oil inventories, provides distributed labour data, and ensures valid travel and freight costing.
- Provides accurate assessment of equipment and gas/diesel plants and troubleshoots various mechanical problems both on site and over the telephone.
- Provides assistance to other trades and contractors as required, and provides guidance and training to operational staff for the trouble shooting of large gas engines.
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment in the performance of work, maintains all tools and equipment in good working condition, and ensures compliance to all safety programs, health and safety legislation, and Corporation Safety Rules in the completion of work activities.
- Journeyman Heavy Duty Diesel Mechanic certification or equivalent journeyman certification acceptable to the Corporation.
- Several years’ experience with repair, maintenance and operation of diesel generators and their related equipment.Must have the ability to diagnose problems and propose solutions.
- Team player with the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to interpret drawings, diagrams, and specifications of a variety of types of mechanical equipment, including manufacturer's manuals and parts books.
- Good planning, organizational and communications skills.
- Must have a valid NWT Class 5 driver’s license.
- Must undergo a successful criminal background check.
- Works primarily in a powerhouse environment that contains high noise and vibration.
- Requires frequent travel to other areas including satellite plants in remote communities by small aircraft, vehicles, boats, and helicopters.The time away from home may vary from a few days to several weeks.
- May be required to work at heights; such as ladders, scaffolds, radiator stands and building roofs.
Salary range starts at $40.11 per hour and goes up to $48.75 per hour. We also offer accommodation and location allowances of approximately $10,134 per annum. We offer a comprehensive benefits package which includes defined benefits pension plan.
Please send resumes to:
Northwest Territories Power Corporation
#4 Capital Drive
Hay River NT X0E 1G2
Fax: (867) 874-5229
Please quote competition #: 02-SP-18
Closing date: March 12, 2018 at 5:00pm (MT)
Affirmative Action Employer - Candidates must clearly identify eligibility status in order to receive priority consideration.
We thank all those who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.