Under the direction of the Chief Technical Officer, Asset Management & Engineering, the Asset Manager, Hydro Operations is responsible for managing all hydro assets of NTPC’s Hydro Zone generation, auxiliary, residual heating and other systems. Scope includes all communities, plants, buildings and facilities in NTPC’s Hydro Zone including the North and South Slave and both hydro and thermal technologies.
- Completes Asset Condition and Risk Assessments (ACRA) for NTPC’s Hydro Zone assets on a three year cycle.
- Monitors Asset and System Performance.
- In coordination and cooperation with other NTPC divisions, uses CMMS to make an inventory of hydro assets, manage the asset inventory, make corrective recommendations and to monitor work orders.
- Prepares Requests for Proposals (RFPs) for consultants to perform independent inspections and ACRA, including the detailed scope of work for services.
- In coordination and cooperation with asset managers of the other asset groups and operations, develops and sustains the NTPC Power System Plan (PSP) by acquiring, organizing, analysing and managing hydro asset performance data and other information.
- Conducts power system studies, feasibility studies and performs economic analyses of projects using financial tools (Net Present Value (NPV), Internal Rate of Return (IRR), Discounted Payback Period (DPP) and life cycle analysis, to make optimal decisions for the overhaul, upgrade, rehabilitation and replacement of existing assets and to add new assets.
- In coordination with the asset managers of other asset groups develops the hydro component of the 20 year, 5 year and 1 year (next fiscal year) Capital Plans while ensuring the cap for total replacement capital is not exceeded. Prepares Requests-for-Proposals (RFPs). Carries out the analysis of RFPs received, recommending the selection of appropriate consultants.
- Assists in establishing Key Performance Indicators (KPI), for Hydro Operations to ensure that management strategy meets its annual goals.
- Prepares technical standards for all assets including preliminary design standards, standard specifications, standard drawings and cost estimates.
- Maintains an up-to-date knowledge of hydro assets with respect to generating plant and equipment, construction practices, materials, engineering and safety codes.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering.
- Minimum 5 years of related experience as a professional engineer.
- Experience in Asset Management in a utility setting with Hydro and/or Thermal Generation required.
- Experience in renewable energy would be considered an asset (solar & wind).
- Professional Engineer eligible for registration with NAPEG in a relevant discipline.
- Experience with design, construction, and maintenance of assets situated in a northern environment. Hydroelectric and thermal experience is preferred.
- Accomplished computer skills (MS Office suite, MS Project, Outlook, etc.) and ability to apply relevant design software.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
- Above average interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Must undergo a successful criminal background check.
The salary range for this position is $120,845 to $151,319 plus location, and accommodation allowances of approximately $7,773 per annum. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, which includes Health and Dental Benefits, Long-term Disability, Life Insurance, paid Sick Days and a Defined Pension Plan.
Please send resumes to:
Northwest Territories Power Corporation
#4 Capital Drive
Hay River NT X0E 1G2
Fax: (867) 874-5229
Please quote competition #: 25-HR-17
Closing Date: August 25, 2017 at 5:00pm (MT)
Affirmative Action Employer - Candidates must clearly identify eligibility status in order to receive priority consideration.
We thank all those who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.