Participates as a member of the Generation Work Unit, under the guidance of qualified Journeyperson Diesel Mechanic to perform Apprentice duties of Journeyperson level work on diesel generator sets and associated support equipment including, pumps, compressors, radiators, heat exchangers, lubricating oil systems, fuel oil systems, cooling systems, and other mechanical equipment. The incumbent will be responsible for the routine maintenance as set out by the manufacturer, as well as the minor and major overhauls including work on larger diesel engines such as EMD, MTU Series 4000 and Cat 3500 series engines throughout the Corporation.
- Maintains and repairs small, medium and large size diesel engines, generators of various sizes and auxiliary equipment as per Corporation guidelines.
- Completes and/or assists with scheduled overhauls in a timely and professional manner according to Corporation and Manufacturer standards.
- Makes routine trips to remote satellite plants for inspection, preventative maintenance, installation and repairs to equipment and to complete various tests as required.
- Completes trip and equipment reports, prepares required parts lists for diesel maintenance and fuel and oil inventories, provides distributed labour data, and ensures valid travel and freight costing.
- Provides accurate assessment of equipment and gas/diesel plants and troubleshoots various mechanical problems both on site and over the telephone.
- Provides assistance to other trades and contractors as required, and provides guidance and training to operational staff for the trouble shooting of large gas engines.
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment in the performance of work, maintains all tools and equipment in good working condition, and ensures compliance to all safety programs, health and safety legislation, and Corporation Safety Rules in the completion of work activities.
- High School Diploma required. Minimum grade of 70% in each of the following courses: English 20-2, Math 20-3, Science 10 or a passing mark of 70% or higher on the Trades Entrance Exam #5. Some related experience required.
- Team player with the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to interpret drawings, diagrams, and specifications of a variety of types of mechanical equipment, including manufacturer's manuals and parts books.
- Good planning, organizational and communications skills.
- Must have a valid NT Class 5 driver’s license.
- Must undergo a successful criminal background check.
- Works primarily in a powerhouse setting that contains high noise and vibration.
- Requires frequent travel to other areas including satellite plants in remote communities by small aircraft, vehicles, boats, and helicopters is required. The time away from home may vary from a few days to several weeks.
- May be required to work at heights; such as ladders, scaffolds, radiator stands and building roofs.
Salary range starts at $25.27 per hour for an apprentice and goes up to $48.75 per hour for journeyperson certification. Salary increases are based on experience and successful completion of training. We also offer accommodation and location allowances approximately $10,134 per annum. We offer a comprehensive benefits package which includes defined benefits pension plan.
Please send resumes to:
Northwest Territories Power Corporation
#4 Capital Drive
Hay River NT X0E 1G2
Fax: (867) 874-5229
Please quote competition #: 32-SP-17 and include high school transcripts
Closing date: December 15, 2017 at 5:00pm (MT)
Affirmative Action Employer - Candidates must clearly identify eligibility status in order to receive priority consideration.
We thank all those who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.